Amalaki, also known as Amla or Indian Gooseberry is one of the fundamental and most commonly used fruits and herbs in India’s Ayurveda. Amalaki is a super antioxidant and one of the rare fruits (along with Schisandra berries) to possess all 5 flavors (bitter, sweet, sour, pungent, astringent). It is rich in polyphenols, bioflavonoids, and especially all-natural Vitamin C. All forms of amalaki are used:
- Liquid Extract
Powder is one of the most readily available forms, particularly outside of India, and is widely used both internally and externally.
Amalaki powder is used for Ayurveda preparations of:
- Takra Dhara (medicated buttermilk),
- Dhathryarishta (fermented liquid), and
- Tala Pothichil.
These treatments are used to reduce obesity, high blood pressure, Pitta, and cure mental conditions.
Externally amalaki powder is also used in making an effective cleansing and oil-reducing shampoo. It can also be mixed into a hair protein treatment along with egg white, milk, and olive oil, which softens and strengthens hair and is good for split ends.
Not only is amalaki powder safe for consumption (it is just dried-powdered fruit), being a superfood it offers even more benefits when used internally.
- Diabetes–as a daily tonic to reduce propensity to diabetes and severity of pre-diabetic conditions, mix: 5mL honey, 1 pinch turmeric powder and 1 tsp microfine Amalaki powder.
- High cholesterol–to reduce high cholesterol, prepare a chutney to be taken daily before lunch: Indian gooseberry, garlic, turmeric.
- Insomnia–for insomnia conditions, prepare the following powder and mix into milk or water taking 3-times per day: 1g each of Brahmi (Bacopa Monneri), Vacha (Acorus Calamus), Amalaki (Indian Gooseberry).
Amalaki powder can also be taken like other antioxidants to reduce aging, it purifies the body, cleanses the digestive tract, and prevents the common cold. The uses and applications of amalaki powder (or perhaps power is better 😛 ) are far too numerous to all mention here.
Indian Gooseberry powder (Amalaki Choorna) is now available in my store!