A guest post today on a unique topic, that I knew nothing about and I suspect that’s the case for most of you all, too. So read and learn.
People generally sweat for awhile during or immediately after a workout or strenuous activity. But when does that turn into excessive sweating?
The body excretes more sweat in a bid to keep it from overheating, which could have serious implications. However, excessive sweating under normal circumstances can be a cause for concern. A visit to a health practitioner may be necessary if you are sweating excessively for no apparent reason. The first things a health practitioner will want to know is whether your immediate environs are constantly hot or humid, if you are taking supplements, or if you suffer from iodine deficiency. These three can be directly associated with excessive sweating.
(1) Extremely hot temperatures and humid climate cause the body to sweat excessively. (2) Supplements, too, can react with the metabolism causing the body to sweat more. Excessive sweating causes the body to lose heavy amounts of iodine causing further health problems.
(3) The thyroid glands in the human body produce hormones T3 and T4 after absorbing iodine from the bloodstream. The pituitary glands signals and the TSH, Thyroid-stimulating hormones are released into the blood stream. Thyroid hormones help us to generate energy and body heat. You will now be able to relate why people with a thyroid problem have low stamina.
When you sweat excessively your body loses iodine dropping the permissible levels in the body. People who follow a low iodine diet will be unable to produce the right amount of energy for normal body processes.
If excessive sweating is a problem for you, here are a few things you can try:
The Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
The Chinese have a unique way of explaining how to cure excessive sweating. According to TCM theory, our body is comprised of meridian points through which we experience different feelings in our body. For example, nervous feelings tingle in our stomach while stress can be felt in the hands or the feeling of anger on our forehead.
When the flow of energy is blocked due to a dysfunctional activity, it results in physical changes in our body. TCM uses acupuncture on specific meridian points to unblock and regulate the flow of energy. Blocked energy is one of the primary reasons behind excessive sweating.
Foods to avoid
Certain foods can trigger bouts of excessive sweating and it’s best to avoid them. Foods like garlic, hot peppers, spicy food, onion and mono sodium glutamate (MSG) can be causes of profuse seating. Alcohol should be avoided by people dealing with excessive sweating, since alcohol dilates blood vessels, which results in increased blood temperature. Specifically, alcohol causes facial sweating.
Foods to Eat
Some foods can also help control sweating, such as:
- Complex carbohydrates like whole wheat grain, oats, brown rice etc.
- Fruits like grapes, oranges and pears.
- Green tea has medicinal properties, which help in curing excessive sweating. It contains astringent flavors which contracts dilated blood vessels thus reducing body temperature.
- Low fat milk retains fluid in our body. This helps in keeping our body cool.
- Sage is a widely used in Germany to control excessive sweating.
Treatments and cures
The scientific term for excessive sweating is Hyperhidrosis. Change in daily habits can help you to deal with this problem. Using antiperspirants containing aluminium chloride, wearing loose clothes made from preferably natural fabrics like cotton can be beneficial.
However if you want to go for clinical treatments here are a few options:
- Iontophoresis, which treats excessive sweating by electrical stimulation. This again focuses on meridian points in the body according to Emotional Freedom Technique.
- Botulinum toxin injections, which affects nerves controlling excessive sweating.
- Oral medication like propanthline bromide.
- Surgery which removes sweat glands from the body.
- A laser sweat ablation technique which is less complicated than surgery and quite effective.
Sweat can be annoying for many and a social inhibition for some. You can stop excessive sweating through the techniques mentioned above.
Ronald Mathews is an avid blogger and has written this post. He has recently gone through the excessive sweating treatment to overcome his fear and be much more comfortable in public.